Position Announcement: Community Organizer
People Organizing for Environmental & Economic Rights (PODER) is a grassroots environmental and economic justice organization based in San Francisco, CA. Founded in 1991, PODER organizes with Latino families and youth in the Mission, Excelsior and other southeast San Francisco neighborhoods to create people powered solutions that are locally based, community governed and environmentally just. We nurture everyday people’s leadership, cultivate cultural regeneration, and strengthen community power.
About the Position
The Community Organizer will work with PODER staff, community members, and coalition partners to develop and win neighborhood-based solutions for affordable housing and community based development in San Francisco’s Mission District. The Community Organizer will be part of a team that inspires people-led action, deepens political education, promotes community-based decision-making, and has a deep cultural understanding of struggles faced by Latinos and People Of Color in San Francisco.
- Recruit, educate, & empower community members: Recruit new members, support leadership development, organize community events, and mobilize residents on affordable housing and community planning issues.
- Implement community-based campaigns: Implement neighborhood campaigns to achieve affordable housing priorities, and ensure highest level of affordable housing and community benefits.
- Build & strengthen community movements: Lead neighborhood and citywide alliance building efforts through coalition work and electoral campaigns.
- Strong people, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Bilingual, bicultural, with oral and written proficiency in English and Spanish
- Commitment to environmental and economic justice
Knowledge of issues such as participatory-based planning, community development, affordable housing, and gentrification of communities of color in San Francisco
We are seeking an individual that is action-oriented, brings a spirit of teamwork and cooperation, and is willing to work flexible hours including occasional weeknights and weekends. Strong organizational, social media, database, and computer skills are a plus.
The Community Organizer is a full-time position earning $40,000 annually. Benefits include health, dental and vision coverage for employee & dependents and a generous vacation schedule.
To apply, please submit a resume and letter describing what it is about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests as well as what makes you an exceptional candidate for this position. Please include three references with contact information.
Applications must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in person by February 22, 2016.
PODER is a project of the Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.