Mission, Vision, & Principles
PODER’s mission is to organize with Latino immigrant families and youth to put into practice people-powered solutions that are locally based, community led and environmentally just. We nurture everyday people’s leadership, regenerate culture, and build community power.
PODER’s vision is a society where everyday people can shape their neighborhoods and economies. We organize with Latino immigrant families, along with other low-income communities of color, to cultivate community rooted solutions that create a society where immigrant rights, social, racial, economic, and environmental justice are central to the world in which we live.
PODER’s Guiding Principles
To achieve PODER’s vision and fulfill our mission we have laid out the following guiding principles that inform our strategic goals and core strategies in carrying out our work.
• El Cambio es Possible/Change is Possible – We believe that everyday people can bring about the change necessary to end oppression and exploitation.
• Familia y Comunidad/Family and Community — Our organizing and advocacy work is centered on familia whereby we take care of one another as we cultivate the people power to challenge past injustices, collectively change our comunidad for the better, and create the conditions where everyone has the opportunity to thrive.
• Transformación Personal y Social/Personal and Social Transformation — Families, adults, and youth can collectively build the political power and cultural change needed to bring about justice-centered personal and societal transformation.
• Comunidades Saludables/Healthy Communities — We value the right and knowledge of everyday people to create and put into practice community-based solutions for healthy neighborhoods, cities, and society.
• Regeneración Cultural/Cultural Regeneration — Our work is rooted in reclaiming and regenerating cultural practices which rely on traditional wisdom with new thinking and technology.
• Tejiendo un Movimiento para Cambio Transformacional/Weaving a Movement for Transformational Change — We link with local, national and international organizations and movements to forge cultural transformation, systemic change, genuine democratic practice, fulfillment of all people’s fundamental human rights, and environmental & economic justice.
• La Armonía con nuestra Madre Tierra/Harmony with Our Mother Earth — We recognize and honor our interconnectedness with each other and seek to live in harmony with nuestra madre tierra.